Saturday, October 3, 2009

Do you suffer from Nature-Deficit Disorder?

I am currently reading the book pictured to the left. A friend of mine told me about it and I have been waiting for it to be my turn to read it from the "hold" I have had at the library for the past few months! I finally got it and it's actually due back soon so I have to get reading!

I read the first few chapters today. The book talks about the connection between exposure to nature and healthy childhood development and for the physical and emotional health of children and adults. The book describes Nature-Deficit Disorder as: "the human costs of alienation from nature; among them: diminished use of the senses, attention difficulties, and higher rates of physical and emotional illnesses."

So far it's been very interesting to think about how things have changed from the way past generations grew up playing outside to how the current generation is growing up with little to no interaction with nature and playing outside and all the factors that have played into this change.

No comments:

Post a Comment